Monday, October 22, 2007

Why I will not be a bull rider any time soon

Getting tossed to the ground from a live, bucking animal hurts. Like hell.

This weekend I came out to my mom's and we had another sleepover (there's something about getting fed real food and having someone else to play with the baby for a bit that does wonders for the spirit). So, on Sunday I decided to ride the horse for a while before we left. I've been meaning to jump on him for weeks now, and it was a beautiful day, so I hauled the saddle out to the barn and tacked him up.

Now, this horse has a very ornery streak to him. For years we've been working with him to not buck when he starts off loping. Not big bucking, just a little annoyed kick of the back feet. On Sunday, he was an angel. Not one buck, did everything I asked him to. And then, I made the mistake of thinking "just one more time around." Apparently he had had enough and made sure I knew it. He bucked and lurched and jumped all the way across the damn pasture. And I hung on almost the whole way. Until he headed towards the fence. I'm pretty sure I started to bail off, and got tossed at the same time. And I hit the ground hard. No tuck and roll here. Though I did roll as fast as I could in hopes of not getting stepped on, as I had visions of hooves smashing into my skull. That's always a pleasant thought.

Anyways, I was yelling as I went down and mom came running with E. She couldn't get me up, so I laid there trying to catch my breath while she caught the horse and stuck him in the barn (cause a loose horse was the last thing we needed). Eventually I crawled my way into the house and collapsed on the couch. Standing up made me blackout, and when I was still that way an hour later, we realized there was no way my mom was going to get me into the car and to anywhere to get x-rays, so we called an ambulance and I got my first ride in one.

I spent forever at the hospital - they forgot I was even there in the first place, forgot to put in orders for stuff, etc - and got sent home with a diagnosis of "contusions on the kidney and other bruising" and was prescribed nothing. They were kind enough to recommend some over the counter Motrin.

So, here I am, camping out at my mom's house for a while because I can't walk without supporting myself on something, can hardly pick E up and still almost pass out from time to time when I move. It took me 10 minutes to get from the bedroom to the kitchen this morning. I'm not a wuss or a hypochondriac, but I'm pretty sure this is not simply bruising when I can't put any weight on my one leg and have to shuffle everywhere cause I can't pick my feet up.

So yeah, no more bucking animals for this girl for a long time. There is nothing that makes you realize just how mobile you have to be with a 6 month old until you can't do anything but lay next to her on the floor and hope she's content to play like that for a long time.

20 years of riding and this is a first, so I suppose that's not too bad.

1 comment:

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

I guess the upside is that you can camp out at your Mom's and she can help you with E. That doesn't change the fact that you probably feel like crap, but at least it's something.

I hope you heal fast and feel better soon.