Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Don't Think, It Might Hurt

It's crunch time. The southbound wagon train leaves in one month. So, I think it's perfectly justifiable that I have been slightly panicky about finding somewhere to live for the past few months. The rental market in the low country is brutal, unless you have your very own magic money tree and can rent one of the brand new luxury homes popping up everywhere. We don't. The only thing the foliage around here produces is a mess for me to clean up.

I found an adorable little house in a perfect location for a price so low that it's probably built on haunted burial grounds or something. Nothing we can't live with. I'm cheap, so four walls, all the major appliances and new carpet is about all it takes to sell me on something. I got a little giddy when I saw the double basin sink in the kitchen, though.

After almost a week of waiting to find out if our application had been approved or not, I started nagging the rental company. Turns out, it wasn't a case of southern style business practices and they were actually on top of things. It was my current apartment manager that was holding everything up. So, I marched myself down there through 10 inches of fresh snow and a raging blizzard. (Okay, so it wasn't quite raging, and the path was pure slush, but still).

Me: "Hi, my name is Jayna and there is a rental company in Georgia that has been contacting you about a referral for us."

Clueless Chick #1: "Uh-huh."

Me: "I need to know the status on that, as it's very important that it be sent back as soon as possible."

Clueless Chick #2: "Dee (actual apartment manager) just got back from vacation last week."

Me: "Uh-huh. So?"

Clueless Chick #1: "She's very busy. It might take a while for her to get caught up on everything that has piled up." (She gestures to a stack of filing boxes, which has only one thing in it. Suspiciously, it looks like a referral form.)

Me: "Uh-huh. So, how long do you think it's going to take, as she's already had it a week now."

Clueless Chick #2: "Maybe another couple of weeks."

Me, trying not to laugh: "Weeks? It's seriously going to take weeks to fill out one sheet of paper and fax it?"

Clueless Chick #2: "Well, she's really behind. You should have asked for this a lot farther in advance. It always takes a long time. It's not our fault you didn't plan ahead."

Me: " . . . "

*crickets*

*death stare*

*flaming daggers*

Dee (walking into the office): "Hey Jayna! How's that adorable baby? Oh! I sent your referral this morning, did you want a copy of it?"

*sound of heels clacking as Clueless #1 and #2 scatter*

9 comments:

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Oh. Wow.

Is it just me or are people getting more and more incompetent? Or that they just don't give a shit?

So, you're moving to my neck of the woods? Where in Georgia? E-mail me!!!!!

Burgh Baby said...

I'm a little sad that you'll be moving further away ('cuz, you know, I knock on your door every day now), so I might have slipped the lady $20 to "lose" your referral. Either that, or the managers of your apartment complex or idiots.

Karen said...

Those kind of people drive me absolutely bananas. Heaven forbid they actually, like, check on something!

Calamity said...

Prepare yourself. You've been reviewed.

Anonymous said...

I'm here from the review. I can't believe you've been a single parent, and a new one at that, for this long. I complain about a couple of weeks alone with my kids, and I can't imagine the strength that takes. Adding you to my reader.

Burgh Baby said...

Hi, I'm here from the review. I thought the whole description sounded awfully familiar. It's great to see you getting some well-deserved love.

:-)

(And really, how many typos can I possible have in comments in one day? Ten? Twenty?)

Kim said...

I read the review of your blog, it is right on. I only wish my blog was as good as yours. Keep up the good work and good luck with the move.

Anonymous said...

I came here via the review too. And I know some of your commenters - CRAZY!

Ahem. Anyway...

Hi :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my word! How ridiculous!