Saturday, October 13, 2007

You wouldn't catch me trick-or-treating there!

There is a house that I often drive past that has always gone all out with their Halloween decorations in the yard. For years they have always covered the trees in cobwebs, had the white sheets for ghosts and the gravestones and such.

This year they have far exceeded all the past years. On one side of the yard is a Jason scene - mask, bloody chainsaw and dismembered bodies on the ground around him. The other side they have a circle of what appear to be spirits worshiping or something - white figures with white faces around a body of a person lying in the middle. And then in the middle of the yard is a complete Dracula scene - Dracula with fangs and blood dripping, woman dressed in white lying on an altar-type thing with her arms up as though she's shielding herself from the vampire hovering over her, candles and minions all around the altar. Strewn throughout all this are open coffins with bodies inside, gravestones and other decorations. These figures aren't your run-of-the-mill scarecrows or stuffed clothing. They are life-size and life-like mannequins. I would go so far as to say they could be mistaken as real people upon first glance (or as one drives by).

I wish I had pictures, but I haven't been talented enough to snap one while driving past yet. If I remember tomorrow, I will.

So tell me, what's your take on this? Is it appropriate for a neighborhood, front yard decoration? Or should graphic scenes like this stuff be kept for the haunted houses or other locales where impressionable children won't see it out of the car windows?

1 comment:

Sarahviz said...

I think my boyz would be scarred for life if they ever saw something so horrific. Sounds pretty offensive to me.
It's crazy how much people are starting to decorate now for Halloween--I mean, c'mon, it's HALLOWEEN. Gimme a break.